Friday, August 14, 2009

Warning: The side effects of your children speaking Russian

Our boys don't speak a whole lot of Russian with us, but they definitely use a few of their favorite words with each other- all the time. So much so, I wish they didn't know them, b/c they're not my most favorite Russian words... Gimmie, Mine, I want and No. They use the Russian command for "give" so often that their cousin has even picked it up. Not to mention that I get terrible looks in Walmart when the boys are arguing over something in the cart, telling each other to "give it to me". Not that anyone else around us typically understands Russian, but "give" sounds nearly identical to the English word "die". Great thing to have your sons yelling at each other in front of others! I had to laugh when the boys cousin, Brady, came up to me the other day to complain that Carter wouldn't give him a toy he wanted, "Aunt Iris, Carter isn't die-ing me." I couldn't help but laugh. At least we can be sure they'll still know a few words of Russian when we return...if only they were "please" and "thank you" and the like!

No comments: