Saturday, March 31, 2007

Me and My Thoughts (con't)

Happy Saturday... It's only 12:30 and today has already been a fun filled day...and it's barely begun! JB took off very early this morning and I got up w/ Gavin at 6:45- we snuggled in his bed for awhile then he enjoyed his kasha and milk, and we watched some Ulitsa Sesam (russian seasame street) together. I cleaned the kitchen and have been doing laundry all morning. I'm getting ready to go work some more on the scrapbook I'm making for Inna- I'm so excited about it. I hope it turns out as fun as I'm anticipating. I bought a board book and I've covered all pages in scrapbook paper and inked the edges- now I'm just trying to organize the photos and decide what kind of embellishments to use...and of course I have to make sure all my russian is correct before I go journaling! I have so many photos I want to use I think I may end up making her 2- b/c there are only 10 pages in each book! I'll be sure to post photos when it's done!

Okay... now for:

The Things I Love About Russia (con't)

*childrens hats and books- everyday I see adorable kids hats- complete with bunny ears or eyes. I guess you'd have to have cute hats when little kids wear them every time they go outside- no matter what the season! Everytime I go to a children's store I find all kinds of adorable books- the latest one I bought Gavin is all about jungle animals- so cute! Though...I find it funny I can't seem to find a decent quality toy medical kit for Gavin that doesn't contain tiny parts or a metal scalpel !!!
*"Who are you waiting for?" that's the question I get asked nearly everyday! It's the equivilent of "What are you having?" in English- a boy or girl? But everything here is basically either a "he or she" . It was so strange for me, when asking where the book is, to say "where is SHE?".
*You can buy plane tickets last minute and they're not a fortune
*Cheap DVDs- and you can get them when the movie comes out in the theaters! Even if it's a terrible copy, it only cost a few dollars!
*Worship in Russian. Russian is such a deep language- understanding scripture and to be able to worship in Russian always leaves me with a deeper understanding of who God is.
*Communion. There is something to say about sharing a common cup. I once read an article in EMQ about communion in different cultures and how the 'community' of a culture can be expressed often times through sharing a common cup vs. individual cups... interesting.
*Service in cafes. This used to drive me crazy, but I've come to appreciate how they sweep up your napkin the moment you put it down, or how they take the cup out of your hands the minute you take your last sip. I don't think there is a McDonalds in America that gives as quick service as they do here... of course I've never been in one as crowed as they are here, either! Not to mention you never throw out your own trash at a fast food place- you just leave your tray on your table- that was so weird to get used to!
*Taking off your shoes as soon as you enter the house. As dirty as it is here- I know exactly why everyone does it! It keeps your house so much cleaner. So, instead of wearing shoes around the house you always wear slippers- even when you are a guest in someones home- they usually have several pairs of slippers for guests. I don't think we will ever wear our shoes past our entryway again!
*You always get a meal on every flight- in a country with 11 time zones it's always time to eat somewhere! I can't remember ever being served a meal on a domestic flight in America!?



Coming soon... random thought/revelations.

No comments: