Saturday, March 31, 2007

Me and My Thoughts

Happy Friday everyone! I love Fridays. Mostly b/c we don't have class and I get to spend the day with my favorite people (Gavin, JB, Inna, Yulia !) What a great way to spend a day... and to top it off ( I know I'm crazy...) but I always have time to clean on Fridays... scrub the bathroom, clean out a closet, clean off my desk, wash the windows- whatever.

Wednesday I made a whirlwind trip up to Moscow to see my doc- just a routine visit and an ultrasound. I flew up in the morning and came back that evening- all in an effort not to miss more school- because he was 'out' on all the days I don't have class! As crazy and quick as the trip was- it was so great to spend a little time with myself and my thoughts. I got to my appointment a few hours early so I was able to sit in a coffee shop and enjoy my Health magazine :) All is well with baby hecock II - he was moving so much we barely got a good look at his face! He is most definately an active baby! And I am healthy too... my blood pressure is the lowest I've ever know it to be and I have only gained 1kg so far this pregnancy! I'm sure I'll gain plenty when we hit the states... all those yummy restraunts and mom's cooking!

So... I took time to jot down a bunch of my thoughts during my flight home- here is the first of 3 lists:

Things I love about Russia
(Some of you may remember me mentioning my corkboard where I post all the things I love- just to make sure I don't dwell on the unpleasant things about life here... well here's the latest)

*My docs assistant (she is soooo nice- my day wednesday was filled with some of the nicest people of run into here)
*Russian language- there are so many aspects of this language that are so rich... and fun to say (diminuatives, the verb "to love (that is only used to describe God's love)", the neverending plethora of verbs...)
*Russian food (vereniki- it's basically ravioli filled with fruit and served with sugar, sirniki- thick pancakes made from ricotta-like cheese and topped with sour cream... just to name a few)
*Waitress at the coffee shop- wow was she incredibly nice...
*Lines. Okay... I don't love waiting in lines here- mostly b/c you could make a profession out of waiting in line all day b/c you do it everywhere you go- but It suddenly hit me when I was in McDonalds and in a huge crowd of people- that I don't mind being stuck in line and I've gotten used to 'making sure I don't lose my place' - it finally feels normal. never thought that would happen.
*Russian literature
*You can buy meds w/o a Rx
*walking- I've come to really enjoy walking all over -especially since you have no other choice when you ride public transportation.
*Sports channel- this is one of our new loves...the public sports channel rocks! We can watch synchronized swimming, water polo, luge, bobsled, biathalon, ice skating, etc- not just football/basketball/baseball/hockey ! We love it...it's like the olympics everyday :)
* Stas and Inna and their boys- I can't get over how polite and well mannered their boys are.
*Fashion- again, don't LOVE the fashion here...but I really appriate their sense of style- they never leave their house w/o looking stunning- usually complete with heels and a gorgeous coat! Even dressed in my best "american" outfit- I still look underdressed.
*Practially everyone is bilingual- that might be an exaggeration- but many, many more people speak 2 or more language well- I've met Russians who speak English, German, French, and Portugese fluently... how many americans are fluent in a second languge...?
*Flowers- there are beautiful, affordable flowers for sale- everywhere!
*Tea culture- I never expected to sit down to tea so often when we moved here- but there is nothing like conversation over tea and something sweet.

Okay...that's not it- but it's late and I'm off to bed b/c I'm exhausted- I'll try to type the rest tomorrow!

Oh...big news- last night was G's first night in his big boy bed! He did great! He's sound asleep w/ his nemo blanket and George there as I type! My little boy is growing up! Can't believe he'll be 2 in less than a month!!!!! Wow.

No comments: