Sunday, March 11, 2007

JB, Gavin and I headed out to a new toy store the other night to see if they had a "sit and spin" for Gavin's birthday. I saw them for sale at a big toy store over Christmas, but haven't seen them since. This was the first time we had been to this new toy store- it's 2 stories- HUGE! And there were tons of Playskool and Fisher- Price toys! People have asked me why I would pay to ship a toy here for Gavin...here's a great example: I saw several different "Little People" playsets and was floored when I saw the prices!

The farm set was over $120 !!!! Even if I bought it at Toy's R Us in the states ($32.99) and payed to ship it clear to Russia - it still wouldn't cost me $120! Wow. But... all we really wanted was a "sit and spin" and that's the one toy they didn't have! I was also looking around for activities for Gavin to enjoy on the plane ride back to the states this summer- I've been looking everywhere for those Color Wonder markers/coloring books, but haven't been able to find them here. I've picked up a mini magna doodle already. If anyone has any other great ideas to keep a toddler entertained on a very long flight (outside of the portable dvd player!)- please let me know!

I stayed home from church today w/ Gavin- He started coughing yesterday evening and ended up keeping us awake most of the night! He sounded awful this morning when he woke up and he was running a low fever. He's been gradually getting worse today. I'm just praying it doesn't get any worse...this would make 5 consecutive months of him being sick with bronchitis....and he's been healthy for nearly 4 weeks now! So, we'll see- but we'd appreciate all your prayers for our little guy- I just hate to see him sick and he doesn't exactly "love" getting breathing treatments every few hours (it means he has to sit still for a little while)!

Back to school tomorrow after a long weekend of no classes- thanks to Women's Day last Thursday!

3 comments:

~Melissa~ said...

Hey Iris! I'm so jealous that you can even find little people there! I stocked up on a couple of things for Izzy's birthday while I was home because they don't even exsist over here. It's crazy too because our toy store is Toys R Us. Anyway....

If Gavin is anything like Isabella... I wouldn't worry about bringing things to entertain him on the flight. I went out and bought a few new things she didn't even play with them. She just explored what was available. She did play with the crayons I bought though. LOL

I also picked up the color wonder markers while home... so worth it!!!! And there's something called an auqadoodle that my mom bought for Izzy for christmas (not sure if you've heard of those but it's a mat and you use a marker that you just put water in) and it's awesome too. Saves a lot of worrying about getting marker on their clothes or all over themselves.

Anyway.... always thinking/praying for you guys. Hope things are going well with your pregnancy.

Love, Melissa

Janet said...

Hey girl! Some ideas that we have for "entertaining" little ones...
Put items in little zip lock bags so they only have a few things at once and they get to open something every so often. For example, a few trucks or cars in one, some little blocks or leggos in another, some little animal or men toys, crayons, etc. We even put in a little bottle of bubbles that we used on layovers. Balloons are fun as well for layovers. Blow them up and then let the air out before heading on the next flight. We also take a notebook / coloring book just for Talitha. We have even wrapped tiny gifts for her as well for each flight. A new little car, new pack of crayons, little box of cookies or snack. Things like that. We really like the magna-doodle too.
Oh... and the best of all for your sake... Benedryl or Dramamine. :-) It also works on Dad if needed. :-)
Love ya girl. Give hugs all around from us!
Janet

Anonymous said...

Hey Iris! The aquadoodle is a great thing. We have the big mat, and a little one that's about the size of a magna doodle. That works great - fits in a backpack and sits in little laps! Dr. Seuss is also good. Kids like the cadence of the story. Plus they like to try and "read" themselves!
Hope all is well, and good luck on your flight home!
Love,
Ami