Tuesday, May 30, 2006

{the hunt} continues

Still looking. We looked at a place today that is much nicer than everyone anticipated. Even though no one else was too hopeful about this place, I had a good 'feeling'. On the outside it doesn't look like much, and when we tried to go see it on Saturday the guy answered the door in his underwear- hence the reason no one was very hopeful. But, I could be very happy living there. It's 1 block from the main street, downtown. It's right on the tram line, very close to several bus lines, and a great place to catch marshrutkas too! It's located through a gate and down an ugly alley, on the second floor of an old house. As soon as we made it up the slippery stairs (for some reasons Russians love to tile steps outside- which causes them to very extra slippery in the rain or snow!?), and walked into the kitchen, I knew it could work. The kitchen was roomy and has high ceilings. On one side of the kitchen is steep, winding stairs that go upstairs to the "lofted love nest" (as JB's been calling it!) mostly b/c it's a big open room w/ mirrors and velvet on the ceiling! Crazy! I was shocked till I realized all the ceilings are decorated this way! The bathroom is right at the bottom of the stairs. Through the other side of the kitchen is the living room, which is about the size we have now. There are 2 small rooms off the living room- one to be Gavin's and the other for an office (it's not really big enough to be a guest room- don't think a bed will fit!). And, lastly, off the living room is also a balcony- a great plae to watch the fireworks on new years! The best part- the price is right! and all our utilities would be included! The biggest drawback is the stairs leading up to the place...we're just envisioning slipping down them on a wet or snowey day with Gavin in our arms! We asked them about he possibility of covering the steps with an awning type thing, but it would push our rent outside the budget! So...we'll see. The realtor has 3 more places tomorrow and we'll sign the contract on the first apartment tomorrow at 5 (not the one we looked at today), if we decide to take it.

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers, I can really feel the peace of God in my heart about this situation. I can't wait to get unpacked (again!)- or at least have an answer when people ask me where we're moving to! Oh, JB got a bunch of boxes today...so let the packing begin! Eww.

No comments: