Sunday, November 13, 2005

Have you ever eaten an elephant?

Have you ever eaten an elephant? Me neither. I was thinking about that in church this morning. I know, terrible. It is so hard to concentrate when you can only understand so very little and you're desperately trying to keep your 6 month old son quite. Why was I thinking about that? Well...As we were singing I was remembering our first Sunday here. I couldn't even read Russian, and everything sounded like gibberish to my ears. This morning, as we were singing I could not only read the text, and sing along...For the first time I actually caught myself understanding a good bit of the lyrics. I know when we're told to stand, or to sit, or to pray.

So, the elephant. I have never eaten an elephant, but I imagine it would be a huge task. Language learning is a huge task. Sometimes it's so easy to get discouraged when you look at the enormous meal in front of you. How can one person eat that? Well, in mouse sized pieces, I suspect. I have to constantly remind myself that it's a huge task that can only be tackled in very, very small pieces. I need to look behind me more often than I look ahead. When I see how far I've come, it's much easier to tackle tomorrow, knowing how much further I have to go.

No comments: