Friday, November 11, 2005

So much and yet so very little

It seems like so much has been happening in our lives , but looking back it sometimes seems that so little has happened- does that make any sense? Everyday this week has been exhausting and I feel like I never stop, but when I examine what I've done it doesn't look like a whole lot. I think I could chalk it all up to having a 6 month old son, living in a foreign country, and being in language school...Who knows.

Monday was my birthday. It didn't really feel like my birthday and it wasn't too incredibly happy. I read so many emails from people back home. Usually hearing from my friends really encourages me and makes me smile, but Monday all I wanted to do is think about how very much I miss everyone and about how much easier life could be- I hate it when I get in those "if only..." Type moods. I start throwing pity parties for myself and often hope other people will join me in my puddles of tears.

I love JB. He always has a way of helping me see what's really going on. Just when I start thinking about how much everyone back home loves me, he reminds me of all the people here that love me and care about me too. And right on cue (just like God to always know what we need!) Ina walks in with a beautiful basket of red roses- for ME! I could barely believe and of course, I just wanted to cry again! Funny. I knew she liked me, but I had no idea she likes that much. She didn't have to get me anything, I didn't even know she knew it was my birthday! We barely speak the same language, yet we've connected somehow. There are days that I long to talk so badly, but I don't know the words to speak, they very literally aren't in my Russian vocabulary- anywhere! On these days it often seems that she just 'knows' what I'm saying, no matter how badly I butcher her complex language or what kind of charades I act out to get my thought across. How God knew I would need someone just like her, who loves my son (almost) as much as I do, and who is such a wonderful helper to me.

So...All in all, my birthday ended well. JB (and Gavin) bought me a beautiful new jewelry box and a beautiful beaded necklace. The first gift he gave me when we started dating was jewelry box, but I wasn't able to bring it- so I now have a beautiful new one to celebrate my first birthday in Russia.

No comments: