Tuesday, August 04, 2009

new things

It's Tuesday morning. Garbage day. Gavin has never really seen a garbage truck during the time we lived in Russia- there you just throw your garbage in dumpsters, which never happened to be close to our house, so even when the trucks would come to empty them, we'd never know. But, every Tuesday morning Gavin and Carter race to the sidewalk in their jammies to watch the garbage truck (and the recycling truck!) come by and pick up our trash. Fortunately our kids aren't the only ones curbside- the neighbors young boys keep them company and our local trash collector is so kind- he always compacts the trash just to send all the boys into uproars of cheer- regardless of whether he really needs to or not! And he's always smiling and waving at the kids! I'm sure the garbage man's visits will be on the list of things the boys will always remember about their first year living in America.

What will be on my list? First is a wonderful getaway JB and I were able to take right after we arrived back in the states. Along with that would be the 10k JB ran in May- nothing like being so proud of someone you love so very much- watching him cross that finish line was awesome, especially since he had been working so hard. I'm willing to bet that the 1/2 marathon he's running in October will be equally as great! Also on my list would be this past Saturday. My incredible Mother in law planned a spa day for all of us girls. She treated us all to some spa treatments and then out to dinner. It was so great to leave the boys at home and hang out with the incredible ladies of JB's family for a day. We chatted over pastries and pedicures and enjoyed a wonderfully slow fondue meal filled with lots of love and laughter. I'm so very blessed to not only have a wonderful loving family that raised me, but to have become part of an equally amazing family when I married JB. Love you guys so much. That leads me to the last thing on my list...which, if I was putting them in 'order' would most likely be the top of the list- spending time with family. Hugging on my wonderful nephews and sharing countless cups of coffee and priceless face to face conversation with the rest of my family- not to mention the hugs. Can't get enough hugs to last for the next four years- just not possible to really fill up on those!

In other news- today is Day 2 of the great potty training adventure. This month is the first month since we've been back to America where we'll actually be in the same place for 2 weeks or more! So far only one accident, but Carter mostly just "holds it all in" till I put pull ups on him for nap time and bed time. Not sure how to get passed that...someone suggested I just let him drink lots and lots and lots all day long so he can't possibly wait that long, lol. At least today is supposed to be rather warm- so another diaper-less play day in the back yard is in order! Wish us luck! Right now I'm off to take Gavin to one of his last swim lessons! Have a blessing filled day!

No comments: