Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Saga Continues

Wow! What a past few days it's been! Thankfully, Gavin is feeling much better and the weather is still beautiful- in the 80's and sunny! We bought a few flower boxes to put between our windows and the bars. They make such a difference- it's so nice to see them each time I look out the window. Yesterday and the day before we didn't have any hot water so instead of taking an icy cold shower we purchased (last summer) a small electric water heater than is mounted above our shower that we turn on when we have no hot water. It eats up a ton of electricity, so we can't run a single thing while we're using it. It doesn't do a great job- it basically only turns icy cold water into a steady drip of lukewarm, if even that, water. But, it gets the job done and everyone is happy. Until yesterday. JB and I each took five minute showers. Not even back to back- but close enough apparently. 10 minutes after I got out of the shower and unplugged the water heater I head 'popping' saw sparks flying and lots of smoke pouring out of the outlet in our wall. Fortunately we got the electric shut off in time that it didn't fry the wires clear up the wall... though our whole place still smells of burnt electrical wires and melted plastic. We ended up canceling with our tutor b/c we had no idea what fixing it would entail- last time this happened we had to have half the wall ripped open and it was not an easy fix. This time- not so bad. JB was able to replace the outlet and rewire it and now it's back to working just fine- though we have a black spot on the wall where the old outlet once was to forever remind us of the price of a hot shower!

And... Carter is now sick. Poor kid woke up with a fever, vomited and is the crankiest I've ever known him- right in time for Action Group at our house tonight! Fortunately, Lena is coming to help with the boys during group- so I'll get a bit of a break. I love Lena.

That's all for now. Tomorrow we're taking our day off and going shopping to buy Carter a new pair of shoes- kid is growing so fast- though he's not even into Gavin's first pair of shoes yet- Only now am I realizing just how big Gavin really was/is! Carter- average. Gavin- giant. Couldn't love my boys more.

1 comment:

Donnie and Blythe said...

What is it with you guys and electrical problems?? :) I'm glad it wasn't worse this time!