Wednesday, September 26, 2007

yummy

Yet another thing I love about Russia... fresh dough. We could buy fresh bread dough in Krasnodar, but I could only find it at the market near our first home and I could only buy it when the grandmothers who made it were sitting there selling it. Needless to say, I almost always made my own pizza and bread dough. Tonight I bought fresh dough at our little store on the corner. I made sandwich buns for sloppy joes tonight- how yummy! It's nice to know I can buy fresh dough on the corner... no more slaving over bread dough- lots more homemade pizza and dinner rolls in our future! I also made an incredible cake tonight- Turtle Cake. I've had the recipe for years but only discovered it yesterday when I was planning our suppers for this month. It's from JB's mom. You prepare a chocolate cake mix and put half of it in a 13x9 pan. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Meanwhile melt 14oz bag of caramelsl, 3/4 C butter and 1 can sweetened condensed milk. Pour over cake, top with remaining batter, then sprinkle chocolate chips and chopped pecans on the top. Bake for another 25 minutes. Wow. Super yummy!

Unpacked more of the house today. I have several more boxes to unpack- but have to make one more trip to IKEA to buy some things to store the stuff in. It is taking way longer to get everything in order than I had planned. Mostly b/c our space is so limited and there are no shelves or closets really... Friday we're buying a small bookshelf for under Gavin's bed (it's lofted), so hanging storage units for the kitchen, curtain rods and a rod to mount on the wall (or something??? not sure yet) so we can hang up some clothes b/c there is no room for a wardrobe and no clothes closet. I'm really hoping to be competely done unpacking and decorating by the first of next week.

We're all mostly over jetlag- though that also has taken me a lot longer than I expected. I counted on a week- but definately not two! While we're on that subject, please pray for our teammates. Carolina just got back from the states with their 1 yr old daughter early Sunday morning. Camilla (their daughter) is having a horrible time getting adjusted. They've tried everything but she's not sleeping at all, and it's not getting better. I talked to Carolina today and she said Cami only slept 2 hrs last night! So, they are all exhausted and at their wits end- please pray for adjustment for Cami and for rest for her parents- Jason and Carolina.

Thanks to everyone who's been praying for us and specifically for Gavin. He's doing noticably better - even just today. He is almost back to his old self. Definately full of energy! He insisted on dressing him self over and over today... but only in his Thomas PJ's! And everything was pants...he would pull the shirts with both feet through the head hole and sometimes he would get both legs in armholes- he was so proud of himself! I took pictures- I'll post them tomorrow maybe!

2 comments:

Donnie and Blythe said...

I sure will miss your desserts! That turtle thingy sounds right up my alley. Love and miss you guys. Donnie in Krasnodar

Anonymous said...

I Miss you!!!!
Jerichka