Thursday, August 23, 2007

UPdate

So...everyone has been asking for updates-here's the latest: No word yet on our LOI's - we'll know how much longer we'll be waiting for them in a few days. As soon as we have them we can apply for our visas. Today we had an 'adventurous' (not necessarily good) day. We had to have our HIV tests (these are required by the Russian government to recieve our visas). We called all kinds of HIV clinics in order to find one that will do tests for all of us- but no luck. No one would do them for children under 11. So, we called an had orders for the tests send by our doctor and took them to a local lab to have the blood work done this morning. After finding out that our local lab didn't have butterflies to use on the boys (in leiu of the big needles they use to draw our blood)- we drove to another location they told us would have them. To make a long story short- they didn't have them either! So, b/c we have to have these tests back if our LOI's come in we spent an hour at the second lab getting paper work completed and having everyones blood drawn. By the time we left there I was on the verge of a breakdown after having to hold both my babies down to have their blood taken. They used the smallest needles they had, but there really is no way to draw a toddler's or infant's blood w/o tears and screams. We had plans to take the kids to the children's museum- but after we spent 3 hours trying to get blood taken- it was lunch time then nap time... so the children's museum had to wait till tomorrow. After nap time we went to a local ski shop and found the perfect winter coat for Gavin- it was the only one in his size and it was reduced to 50% off! Yeah God! The salesman even said it was the warmest children's coat he sells! And after that we headed to REI on the South SIde and found the liner for my coat and even found the coat JB's been looking for- in his size!!! Which is usually the most difficult part! Not to mention I picked up the silk long underwear I've been looking for- at a great price- and Sarah and I found matching purses! So, it wasn't just an 'adventurous' day- it was also very productive as we checked lots of stuff off our lists of things left to do before we go home!

What have we been up to? Most recently we returned from our second to last (yeah!) speaking engagement before we head home. We were in Suffolk VA at the Bridge Church w/ college friends, Nick and Heather Cerda. We had a great time with all the awesome people at the Bridge Church (how's that Kristy?! )! and Gavin had a fantastic time playing with Nick and Heather's son, Nathan! I love watching Gavin playing with his new friends and his cousins... there isn't much better! While we were there Gavin went to his first movie, and swam in the ocean for the first time. We also hung out in the pool, went to the zoo and enjoyed the playplaces at the local malls. We spent an evening playing cards, I got to see my college roomie and her folks and both JB and I drank way too much Starbucks!!! We're in PA right now to spend some time with my sister Sarah before she leaves for college on Friday and then we're off to OH to await our LOI's!

I'll post pics very soon of all our recent travels- and of Carter's 1 month pictures... Come back soon- maybe they'll be posted :)

2 comments:

Donnie and Blythe said...

Oh, Iris, I can relate to the AIDS test stuff. How awful! I think they do a better job with that here in Russia, so come back soon!!! Sounds like you've got all the warm clothes you need to survive an Ekat winter.

Kristy said...

Works for me! And I even get my name mentioned - now I'm famous internationally. :-)