Monday, July 02, 2007

Passport woes and fireworks

I haven't mentioned this yet, and I thought you might all like to know the joys of working with the Passport Agency here in America... To give you a little background: When we moved to Russia I didn't renew my passport because it is valid until 2009 (when we are scheduled to be back in the states for home assignment). Little did we realize the difficult my passport would cause me in Russia- when JB and I were married I had it ammended to read Iris Marie Hecock- but the photo page still reads Iris Marie Wigal and I was always having to explain that when I was married they just ammended it and they could see that on page 24. To make a long story short, this last trip to Helsinki to renew our visas the Russian Embassy told us that they would not grant me another visa on this passport- I needed a new passport with my married name on the picture page. No problem..we were coming back to America for a few months and could do it then. Wrong. As soon as we got home I had new pictures taken and waited in line 2 hours at our friendly local Pittsburgh post office to send my old passport in. I was pleasantly surprised when I recieved my new passport less than 2 weeks later (thanks to timely expediated service). My satisfaction was short lived when I realized that my birthdate was WRONG! Trying to get ahold of someone to help us was crazy... one lady even told us that I should go back to Russia on my old (cancelled!) passport, another suggested that we try to get a visa with the wrong birthday and get it fixed when we get to Russia (HA!) ! Finally we got ahold of someone willing to help us, and a bit more knoweldgable about overseas travel and we overnighted both my passports and a new set of pictures and Sherry from the Passport Agency told me to expect my correct passport tomorrow via FedEx! Yeah! All we need now is a passport for the baby and we can begin the fun visa process!

Tonight we head back to Ohio b/c I have another doctor's appointment. I was a little bummed that we wouldn't be here to see the Pittsburgh fireworks- but we made it out last night to see our local Ross Township fireworks display. Gavin had such a great time "ohhing and ahhing" at all the beautiful colors and playing with his light up noismaker that Memaw bought him! When we got back to the car he fell fast asleep... only to do it all over again wednesday night in Rochester, Ohio. Fun little note...the 4th of July parade in Rochester (a town close by to JB's parents home) is the only parade in Ohio that you can see twice. That's right... it goes down the street- turns around and comes back! Believe it or not that's the big selling point that they print in all the papers and fliers! "The only parade in Ohio that you can see twice!"

Today I'm going to lunch w/ a friend, then we'll be sure to hit Rita's Italian Ice (to get a custard/Italian Ice Gelati) before we head on our way to Ohio... only to stop off in Cranberry at Quaker Steak and Lube for wings with Anthony! So...we hope to get to JB's folks before midnight...we'll see!

No comments: