Okay. So I've been a bad blogger. But, really, it's not my fault. Blogger doesn't like our internet b/c it's beyond SLOW! I can't tell you how many posts I've typed that blogger won't post or even save b/c our internet connection is so poor. So, I had vowed to not even try to write another post till we're safely in Ekaterinburg and set up with DSL. But, I caved. I'm ending my blogger strike in a feeble attempt at a short (hopefully) update.
What's happened since I last posted...
Our field forum in Anapa was fabulous- We were in meetings most of the day, but it was so nice to have some time to take Gavin to the pool- he absolutely LOVES swimming! He cried every time he had to get out :( He was jumping off the side of the pool and trying to get away from us in his swim vest or innertube all week! He is SO my son! As always it was fantastic to see everyone on the field and hear how God is at work around Russia. This year we had the special treat of meeting all the students that were home from BFA for spring break. One of the girls, Beki Rundstrom, even picked out of littlest sons name! It's so nice to have a name for him, finally! We've been working with Gavin and I'm so excited to hear him say his little brother's name- so adorable! Sorry, but if you don't already know his name, JB wants to keep it secret... Though I'm more than willing to share for the right price! J/K! And Gavin might just give it up with some coaxing :)
Gavin... he turned 2 on the 29th. I can't believe my little boy is so grown up! I feels like just yesterday that I was pregnant with him! He is 40 lbs and 39 inches tall... if everyone is right that twice your height at 2 is pretty accurate at determining your height in adulthood- than he will definately be several inches taller than his daddy. Where will I ever find clothes to fit this kid???? We celebrated his birthday with a huge party- 32 people in our little place- it was literally packed wall to wall (in between all the boxes!) but we had a great time. There were so many more people we wanted to invite, but due to space it just wasn't possible. Thanks to all of Gavin's loving grandparents we had an Elmo/ Cars party... complete with 2 cakes and lots of decorations. The Elmo cake pan didn't get here in time, so I made a cookie monster cake instead, and I made an adorable race car cake- complete with a track, flags and some of Gavin's toy cars. I'll post pics someday- when our internet speeds up (insert synical laughter here). It was a very special party- as it is our last party in our home here. It was especially sweet because Inna was able to pray for Gavin after he blew out his candles- we are going to miss her and her family so much!
Gavin's health. Last thursday Gavin pulled a folding table over on his feet. He broke his big toe and cut a huge gash in it. I have never been around so much blood and it really freaked me out. It's one thing when JB is bleeding, but a whole other ball game when Gavin is hysterical and we can't stop the bleeding. We called a nurse friend of ours and she came over to clean it and bandage his foot. She said that if were were in America she would recommend a few stitches, but she didn't even think they would do it here- So she put a butterfly bandage across the cut and bandaged it up real well. It took several days for the bleeding to completly stop, but we were able to take the bandages off yesterday and Praise the Lord- it has already healed so much! God is good! He seems to be limping around just fine and I'm sure he'll be fully recovered- minus his toenail- here in a few weeks. Another huge praise- allergy season has been here for several weeks and yet Gavin has been without another episode of Bronchitis! 6 weeks of good health! Amen!
Moving- we've been packing our house for sometime and we're making headway- we wanted to start early b/c the more pregnant my belly becomes the less I'm able to do. Less than 2 weeks till the date we load the truck and I'm not feeling overwhelmed yet. Only 5 more days of language study remaining! It's been so hard to stay focused this week especially. We've been so busy saying goodbyes and going to parties and dinners in peoples homes that it's been tough to do much more than show up in class and the minimal schoolwork. But, God has continued to bless us. Last night we had our dinner at Stas and Inna's house for the last time before we leave. God reminded me of the very first time we were invited to their home. It was just 2 months after we arrived in Russia. We could barely introduce ourselves and buy food on our own- yet, God has brought us so far in less than 2 years! Last night we talked about politics, the church, recipes, kids, illnesses, and even the social structure and economic classes in Russia...wow. I was even amazed. Day to day in our studies if feels often like we are just treading water, but our conversation was so effortless last night and it was so freeing to have to the ability to talk about nearly anything we wanted. God is faithful.
We've been enjoying amazing weather here the last few days. I am going to miss the early spring we have here. The tulips and iris's are all in bloom and this weekend all the lilac trees have bloomed and left an amazing fragrance in the air! Last weekend our team here was able to enjoy Shashlik (Russian BBQ) at a teammates home outside the city as we all gathered to say goodbye to teammates of ours that head back to the states this week to begin their year of home assignment. It was a joyous time of sitting outside together and fellowshipping with one another- The kids enjoyed the wonderful sandbox and we all enjoyed s'mores after supper (we were given s'more fixings by a team that was here for field forum- it's the first graham cracker I've had since leaving the states...yummmmm!).
This week/weekend will be another busy one. Tomorrow is a huge national holiday- Victory Day- all the veterans walk the streets in their military uniforms complete with chests full of badges! There is music everywhere and all the children's musical groups perform in the squares around town. Thursday we have an 'end of the year' picnic at school and Friday we've arranged a playdate for Gavin... or rather we're meeting friends of ours and their kids at a newer shopping center than is supposed to have a SUBWAY (and also has a playplace for the kids)! It would figure that SUBWAY would come to Krasnodar as we are leaving- LOL. Saturday evening we are having another Russian family over for supper- and Sunday is of course Mother's Day.
Gavin's little brother is growing bigger day by day and I am in turn growing as well ! :) Being pregnant in Russia definately has it's benefits- I always get a seat on public transportation and people actually smile at me as we pass on the streets. My next doctor's appointment isn't until the 23rd- the day before we leave for the states.
That was my humble attemt at making up for not writing in forever... now let's just pray that blogger will post all this, or at least let me save it, so I haven't just wasted 45 minutes of my afternoon :)
1 comment:
Iris and JB!!! So good to catch up with you all. Excited at what the Lord has done and called you to in Russia. May He continue to go with you...
love,
crystal (Carrier) Henry
Post a Comment