Thursday, November 16, 2006

bananas, surprises for Sarah and other random ramblings

Bananas... This morning as I was getting ready (and JB was on the computer) I realized that Gavin was very quiet (translation- he's into something he shouldn't be!). Sure enough, I walk into the living room and find Gavin on the couch eating 3 bananas that he "peeled" himself... He used to just sneak them off the counter and hide and 'bite' into them- through the skin and all. I don't have a little boy- I really have a monkey! :) Fun little "bilingual baby note"- When we say "paka" (bye in Russian) to Gavin or ask him to wave bye-bye (in Russian)- he just waves and says "byeeee"... I don't matter who says "paka" to him...He always responds "byeeee"- at least he realizes that they mean the same thing!

I have a fun little surprise planned for my little sister that I'm very excited about...Her birthday is coming up next week (Saturday the 25th) and I wanted to surprise her... I can't wait to hear all about it... Hehehe, Sarah- you'll NEVER guess! I love you, Muncho!

On the subject of birthdays... I meant to post about this earlier, but kept forgetting. I love so many Russian traditions, but one of them is how they give birthday wishes and toasts and such- In American culture we usually say "Happy Birthday" and maybe a few other (often generic) words... This is not so with Russians- all the cards I received and birthday wishes I was given, were so well thought out, sincere, and poetic- it was so genuine. I was humbled. What would a Russian wish? They usually say something like "I congratulate you- Happy Birthday! I wish you a long life filled with happiness, that you will always stay young, that God will give you joy and that He would bless you...(etc.)" Very heartfelt and sincere. Made me rethink the "generic" phrase I use everyday...

Made Chile and Mesquite marinated chicken (thanks Nick! next best thing to hot wings!!! You're wonderful!). Fall just makes me want hot Chile. Eating hot chile w/ cheddar and sour cream made me miss BAC! Made me think how we're missing out on the annual Chile dinner and square dancing! Can't wait till we can join you guys for that in a few years!!!

The holidays are almost here! Monday, since my language helper couldn't come, I was blessed to be able to spend a little extra time with Gavin. We traced and copied the outline of his hands and he colored them with red, yellow, orange and brown markers- then when he went to bed for his afternoon nap, I made them into a wreath and later we decorated it with all the things he's thankful for (as I interpreted his 'words')- Mommy, Daddy, George (his elephant), raisins, juice, Inna, Isaiah, Brooklyn, and a few others- hopefully this can be a tradition that we can keep up for many years to come. It will be fun to look back next year and see how much bigger his hands are and what things he's thankful for-

Okay, I really need to get studying as tomorrow is a long day- We have class, then go across town to teach English in a local school for a few hours, then we'll be home to pick up Gavin then we're heading to some friends for supper... I'm already exhausted just thinking about tomorrow!

Blessings!

No comments: