Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Lions, Tigers & Bears... oh my!

Safari Park. What an adventure. Not so much the wild animals as- well, everything else... We decided to take today off from studying and packed up Gavin after his morning nap and headed to the Safari Park. As we're driving across town JB informs me that he saw the Park on the news the other day. He starts the conversation by saying, "I don't want to scare you, but..."! Thanks! Apparently some girl got too close to the bear cage and ended up at the hospital! After he finishes telling me all this he says "I know, I know...keep Gavin a safe distance away from the animals." Yeah!

We had a great day. Gavin enjoyed all the animals- lots of ducks, geese, chickens, roosters, turkeys, goats, donkeys, horses, cows...you get the idea. Then there were the lion cubs playing in a little pen alonside a monkey dressed in camo- waiting to pose with your child for a picture! The cubs were cute, but I don't think you could convince me to let Gavin curl up with one for a photo! Gavin enjoyed petting the rabbits and watching the bears play in the water and eat a whole watermelon!

This was definately not a zoo like one I've ever been before! It was something else to be so close to the animals! You could literally reach across the ropes and feed them through their cages! But, it was so nice to be outside all day and to watch Gavin enjoying all the animals! He especially enjoyed mimicking the parrot as he skawked and the goose that was eating grass at his feet! I can't believe we didn't get a single photo - we took lots of video, so if you know our family be sure to borrow the DVD and check it out! We finished the afternoon with hotdogs (with ketchup, mayo & pickled carrots! that's just how they come!) and icecream!

Gavin was exhausted by the time we came home and conked out till 6! He has found a new game for naptime... He pulls up the mattress in his bed and takes off the sheet and mattress pad, then he lays down on the bottom of the pack 'n play- his little nylon hammok! Each end of the mattress has a velcro piece that fastens through a hole to the bottom of the pack 'n play so you can't pull the mattress up- Gavin has figured out that if he pulls hard enough the velcro will come undone... during his nap today he pulled so hard he ripped the bottom of the pack 'n play! I was sick. We were hoping this bed would make it through a few more kids! Ahh...can't even imagine buying another one! Especially since the hole isn't in a place that we can patch it or stitch it- argh! I really don't want to transition him to a toddler bed any time soon, but our little man is going to destroy his nylon cage if we don't do something soon!

On a funny note, I could barely be mad at him for ripping up his mattress 8 times this morning... when I would walk in (after hearing the velcro) he would fall flat onto his belly and pretends he's sleeping! All the time with a little grin on his face! How can you be mad about that! I would walk out of the room before giggling...didn't want him to know how incredibly adorable his rambuntious behavior is! So, if you have any advice for me... don't be shy! Help... how do I keep my little giant from ripping up his mattress or any suggestions for transitioning him to a toddler bed...how do I keep him in it all night- way too early for a toddler bed... he's only (almost) 15 months! Argh!

Neighbors. 2 days ago our neighbors grandkids starting coming over. Dasha (6) and Yura (4) showed up our door step asking if they could come inside? We were very confused... we've barely talked to their grandmother that lives below us and had only seen the kids one time. I asked Dasha if their parents knew they were here and she said no, but that her Grandma did, who lives downstairs. Ahh... So strange to me that she would allow her young grandkids to come over to our house w/o even knowing our names? I'm sure she knows we're Americans, but I'm sure that's all! Before we could say anything the kids were inside exploring our house... but were stopped by Nibbles- the guinea pig we're taking care of. They played with him for a little while then I asked them to come back later because Gavin was asleep in the next room- and they did come back. 20 minutes later and 3 other times that night! And twice yesterday! Haven't seen them today, but Grandma stopped me this morning and told me that she really had no need to have them around her house... does that mean she wants them playing at our place all the time?!

Tomorrow back to studying and then a team meeting over shashleek! Yum! It's been in the high 80's low 90's yesterday and today and the weather report said it's going to stay this warm or get warmer before the end of the week... A nice welcome for Donnie, Blythe & Sarah - I remember it was well over 100 (like 107/109) the day we touched down in Krasnodar- welcome home!!! Please keep them in your prayers as they leave the states onWednesday and will spend a few days in Moscow before they head down South.

11 more days till Mom and Sarah are here! (Sarah got on the plane for Guatamala yesterday- keep her in your prayers she gets to spend a night with a Guatamalian family and is very nervous- she doesn't know a bit of Spanish! What an experience!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Iris I just love to read these blogs....I am so happy you are enjoying yourself on your 'time off' Love you bunches, Jeri Rae