Monday, February 20, 2006

Week in Review

Last week was such a crazy week that I just couldn't find a half hour to sit down and type, outside of returning the regular emails...I just wanted to hit the "pause" button for a little while so I could catch my breath!

I started the week behind b/c I was sick for the whole weekend, and missed classes on Monday, too! Gotta love the winter! Fortunately I didn't miss too much in class and was able to quickly catch up on Tuesday which happened to be Valentine's Day... JB brought me some beautiful cala lilies- the same flowers I carried in our wedding! He is so thoughtful- I LOVE HIM! We didn't do anything exciting for Valentine's Day because his birthday is just a few days later and we decided to save our pennies and make a big day of his birthday (little did he know I already had a big surprise party planned! hehehe).

Wednesday was an "eventful" day in class, I'll only say that I will never forget it, and that I've very thankful for our classmates that were there that day! It was snowing quite a bit on Wednesday, so we decided to take a taxi from school to our favorite Italian Cafe- Prima Vera to meet Tom for lunch (he flew down from Moscow on Tuesday). We arrived 30 minutes late b/c traffic was so bad and I couldn't wait to sit down to a great lunch! I enjoyed my calzone and cappuccino and then the 3 of us tried to find a taxi to get us home. As JB walked up to the door to ask if the driver was available he disappeared from Tom and my sight, and then suddenly PoPs back up with a funny grin on his face...I hate to laugh at my husband's expense, but it was so comical- like something staged out of a movie or cartoon. The unfortunate part was the resulting muddy pants and bruise, but I'm happy to say he's just fine now! We spent that evening at KECU (Kuban Evangelical Christian University- the CMA University here in Krasnodar) getting to know the administration and faculty there. I have to admit I was slightly nervous about using my Russian and having to speak to so many strangers, but it ended up to be such a blessing! Our teammates were there and Tom was kind enough to translate some things we didn't understand. I met so many people, most of whom I've seen at church, but never had a real conversation with, outside of "hello" and "good morning". Best of all I got to hang out with Inna. I know I've mentioned how very much I love her, but it's worth saying again- I am so very thankful for her! She sat with me for part of the night and we just laughed together and had a great time. She looked so beautiful in her long suede skirt and her hair all curled, and she of course had that great perfume on! It's still very awkward for me that women hold hands here when they are friends- not that it's weird to see it, but that it's still catches me off guard when Yulia holds my hand when we're in a crowed place or walking down the street and Inna always grabs hold of me when she's telling a funny story or we're walking somewhere together. I love it that you know you are friends when they gesture to hold your hand- it's incredibly endearing, but hopefully it won't always be awkward for me. We got home very late from our gathering and we sat up and talked to Tom till after 1AM.

So, Thursday I was so tired in class I had a tough time keeping my eyes open! I was so thankful it was our last day of class for the week- especially since I had so much to do to get ready for JB's party! After Gavin's afternoon nap we went out grocery shopping and I bought a bunch of food for the party- still wondering how it didn't make JB suspicious- I did buy some really abnormal things, but... That night I baked JB's birthday cake- carrot cake (my mom's recipe!).

Friday morning JB decided he didn't feel like going to School 23 to teach, so he called his fellow classmate, Steve, who teaches with him and told him he wasn't coming. It's 9am and I'm starting to panic b/c this was how I planned to get him out of the house so I could pack everything up and take it to Steve and Christine's home, where the party would be (yes, this is the same Steve that gave him 'permission' to skip school that morning!) ! Fortunately I told JB that I needed him to go around town looking for cream cheese for the icing for his cake, so Inna could "help me decorate" his cake b/c that morning was the only time she had to help me. That was totally a lie, but Inna does decorate cakes, it gave him a reason to leave the house, and me an excuse for why the cake wouldn't be here when he got back (he thought it was at her house b/c she "has a bigger table"!) As soon as he left I put everything in a box and Yulia and I ran over to Steve and Christines. We spent the morning cooking the meal for that night and I rushed home at 2:00 so JB could meet with Denis. That morning I took our video camera (w/o the bag) over to their house so they could tape him as he came in, but I left the bag at home so he wouldn't wonder why it was gone. I thought I was being cleaver, but when Gavin started being his usual, cute, smiling, laughing self JB reached for the video camera and got really worried b/c he couldn't find it anywhere! I felt horrible, I wanted to tell him so badly where it was, but I couldn't bring my self to give away this surprise I'd worked so hard to put together! So, we spent the last hour before we were supposed to leave, "looking" all over the house for the camera! We left for the Hayes house (to "play x-box") at 6:15 and JB was unbelievable surprised to walk through the door to so many people singing happy birthday (and to find his camera!). We had a great time of friends, food, and fellowship and JB was so blessed by everyone who sent me emails to put in his scrapbook- there were 56 in all! What an amazing encouragement to him to know that so many people love him and are praying for him! Thanks everyone!

Saturday was JB's actual birthday and I had planned to take JB to SBS to play video games and all, but he decided he would rather play x-box at the Hayes house- so we spent another great evening over there! Wonder when they're going to start charging us rent? hmm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great birthday. Happy Birthday