Sunday, October 19, 2008

It's Halloween at The English Cafe

Last night at The English Cafe we talked about Halloween in America. We watched a short clip about the origins of Halloween and some of the traditions that come along with it. Some of the students even came in costume (for the promise of a prize!). JB and I also dressed up- I was Lady Liberty and he was a "work of art"- he wore a picture frame around his neck!

The highlight of the night was carving jack o'lanterns! I have never seen people quite so excited!





Here they are all lit up! The last on the right was voted their favorite!

And of course, we had to introduce them to bobbing for apples! It is amazing what people will do for a candy bar! I'm not sure any amount of chocolate would make me want to get my head soaking wet only to head out into the freezing night to go home!






We've been so excited to see the relationships between our students growing- last night several of them decided to form an English Cafe group on vkontakte.ru (basically a Russian version of facebook) I logged on today and there are already a bunch of our students that have joined and posted a bunch of photos- it will be neat to see how their relationships continue throughout the week!

No comments: