Sunday, October 12, 2008

Coffee&Love


Thanks to all of you have must have been praying...because JB and I haven't fallen victim to the horrible virus that took over the rest of our family last week! Thank you!

Coffee, anyone? Yesterday was the 2nd meeting of our ladies club and it went great! We had 10 ladies gathered around the table decoupaging boxes, vases, canisters, jars, cards and all kinds of other things. We introduced the first chapter of Captivating during our coffee break with a short YouTube/Disney tribute to princesses! The resulting conversation was comical as each of the ladies couldn't decide which princess they would rather be...though it was no problem for me- Jasmine wins hands down. If I could have found an Arabian-themed wedding gown I wouldn't have opted for the poofy-skirted cinderella gown with matching 'glass' slippers and tiara! But, who's complaining?! :) I wanted to share with you a snippet of the conversation that went while we all had glue-filled paintbrushes in hand... I'm not sure how it all got started, but the ladies began sharing one by one about how they never heard their parents say "I love you," when they were growing up. Most of the ladies are in their 30's. Wow. One woman was telling me how shocked she was the first time she watched Santa Barbara (it was hugely popular here!)- she just couldn't believe a parent could be so affectionate to a child! After watching it, she asked her mom if she loved her- of course she answered "yes"- but when she asked why she had never told her that before, her mother replied that she didn't feel any need to. Huh. Another woman told us how strange it was for her to go to America as a teenager (foreign exchange student about 15 yrs ago) and witness how affectionate Americans were to their children. She said it actually made her uncomfortable?! The stories just went on and on. Please, pray with me, that this book and our discussions will be a doorway for the Lord to work in their hearts that so desperately long for the love only our Father can give.

No comments: