Saturday, September 13, 2008

Not today

We've kind of kept Gavin out of the loop when regarding trying to find a preschool for him. He has talked about going to school for awhile now, so I didn't want him to be disappointed if it didn't work out. So, finally, last night we told him that we would be going to school this morning. He was so excited! He woke up this morning and was excited to get dressed and happily walked out the front door with his his umbrella in his hand singing "I'm going to school...". We get to the school, and as we walk from the parking lot inside the building where the school is located (it's in an office type building on the first floor) he's telling me how his teacher will be there and there will be other kids and how he's going to listen to his teacher, etc. We were a few minutes early, but when we go to the door to the school- no one was there. We rang the bell- no answer. So, we waited. We waited for 20 minutes. I called the director several times- her line was busy. We've probably called 30 times over the last week and it's only not been busy 2 or 3 times! So, Gavin and I walked out to the car- with tears streaming down his disappointed face. I decided to take Gavin on a "date." I drove to our favorite bakery and let him pick out a doughnut and he decided that he wanted tea to drink (instead of juice...he likes to feel like a grown-up!) and I had a coffee. We chatted and enjoyed some mom/son time before heading home. It just broke my heart to hear him, the whole time in the car, repeating "Please, mommy, school, please, I want to go to school, please, please, mom..." So, we'll try again next Saturday! It turns out that the teacher called yesterday to say they cancelled classes today, but Carter somehow changed the settings on my phone so that it automatically goes to voicemail w/o ringing- so I never heard the phone ring and never got the message (since we don't have voicemail!) I'm not sure when Carter had my phone- but I can't explain how else my settings got changed! So- we're praying his class works out to meet next Saturday or that a spot opens up in the preschool so that he can start attending during the week- very soon!

1 comment:

Donnie and Blythe said...

Wow, you guys have been through a lot to try to get Gavin into a school! How sad that he was disappointed today. Hopefully, it will work out next week. He's gonna love it! Katya's so sad that her brother gets to go to school and not her, but we can only afford one kid at a time!