Monday, March 06, 2006

Week in Review


Why is it I only have time on the weekends...? I never wanted this to be a 'once a week' kind of thing- mostly b/c I end up w/ lengthy books for entries...But so be it.

This week has been incredibly busy, and full of lots of happenings.

Experiment.
Last Sunday was his first car trip in his carseat in over six months! I'm am thankful to say that he made the 15 minute trips there and back without a problem! He even fell asleep on the way home. We just unstrapped the whole carseat and carried him inside sleeping, still strapped in his seat!

Big News.
Big things happened Monday...First, when I arrived home from school our rocking chair had already been delivered! We've been looking for a rocker/glider since we set foot here and haven't been able to find one, but last week we found it, and bought it...And I can't even begin to tell you how very thankful I am for it. Second, two guys showed up Monday afternoon to install our antenna so we can get some channels- too late for the Olympics, but at least we'll have some "good quality Russian TV" now...LOL. So, we're the proud receivers of 15 channels and still have nothing to watch!

Spring Is Here.
Wednesday was March 1st. Not only did Gavin turn 10 months (he was born on the 29th of April, but since there was no 29th in February...) but March 1st also marks the first day of Spring here in Russia... And no joke, it has only warmed up since then! Today was 54F! Crazy.

When Gavin woke up from his nap I loaded him in his stroller and we walked to Yulia's house. I've never been to her apartment before, but it was only a very muddy and wet 20 minute walk. Gavin played with her daughter- Veronika- and Yulia and I drank Chai and ate Bleny. We had a great time- and the kids played so well together! When I finally brought Gavin home JB was busting at the seams with "big news"... Apparently there will be a McDonalds going in at Krasnaya Ploshad (a big mall/shopping center here) this summer! He suggests we go check it out so he can tell all our classmates on Thursday. He took the camera and we enjoyed all the new stores they just added- It was beautiful- I almost felt like I was in a mall in the states- I have never seen anything like it here! They have a great children's store "BananaMama" that is the Russian version of Kids 'R Us- it was huge! Clothes, toys, baby supplies...Not tons of Fisher-Price, Playskool types of toys, but plenty of toys to give you a good selection! And the best prices on diapers I have found yet!

Entertaining and Immunizations.
Word of advice...Never have your 10month old's shots the same weekend you'll have a house full of guests! Thursday afternoon Gavin had 3 shots and that evening we had some friends from church over with there nearly 1yr old son. Gavin was so miserable and had a bad fever so he went to bed early- didn't even get a chance to play with Sam, really. We all had a wonderful time despite Gavin's unfortunate misery.

Friday morning I warned Inna that Gavin wasn't feeling his best and instructed her when to give him his next dose of tylonel. We went off to School 23 to teach our English class and then came home to an exhausted Inna. Gavin was very fussy the whole time and wouldn't eat or sleep for her! He spent the rest of the afternoon in my lap in the rocking chair watching Baby Einstein...poor guy.

Friday evening my language helper, Yulia, came over for dinner w/ her husband, Alexei, and their daughter, Veronika. Again, Gavin went to bed shortly after they arrived b/c he was so miserable (hence the reason he is absent from this photo!) We all had a great time together and enjoyed a wonderful meal! Maybe I've mentioned before, but they have been married for 4 years now, she is 23 and her husband is 24. They are great people and we enjoy all the time we spend with them! She is a fantastic helper to me and I am so thankful for her!


Maslenitsa.

When literally translated it comes close to "butter week" or "Pancake week". This week was that week. Basically it's a bit like a Russian Mardi Gras. It takes place the week before Lent and people eat, drink, dance, and party b/c when Lent begins so does the fast. The main 'dish' this week in "bleny"- they're very tasty, and similar to crepes. They can be filled with fruit or meat or eaten simply with butter or sour cream. Saturday was a big celebration downtown and we had tickets to a show- we invited Stas and Inna and the kids to go with us. Unfortunately b/c Gavin's temperature had topped 104F I stayed home with him and made JB video tape all the dancing for me :) I was bummed I wasn't able to go, but enjoyed cuddling with Gavin, even more- he's getting so big he doesn't sit still for very long to cuddle- that's about the only plus of him being sick!

So, back to class tomorrow (Monday)- hopefully Gavin will be well enough I can leave him with Inna for the morning! Otherwise I'll stay home... truth- I wouldn't mind so much!

No comments: