Saturday, January 28, 2006

Week in Review.

Crazy week... We've been without internet all week. Our DSL was shut off Monday (b/c we went 8 cents over!) We paid them Tuesday and have been trying to get them to turn it back on all week - finally JB went back down there today and it's working again! Yeah!

Monday. I have never been so cold in my life. Monday morning we woke up to -32C and lots of snow. The director at school told us to "come to school, then after everyone shows up, we'll decide whether or not to cancel." sure. So, we ventured out in the cold weather to school. We had to take 3 different busses (normally we only take one, but ours wasn't coming, and we were going to freeze to death!). I have never known cold like this. Standing waiting for the bus, the fur around everyone's hoods on their coats was white- the condensation in their breath had frozen on the fur, or their hair, or whatever was closest. Weird. After arriving at school, it took me nearly all class to warm up. I've decided I need a warmer coat. This was never a problem in the states b/c we've always had a car...I was never outside in the cold for terribly long periods of time unless we were snow-shoeing or skiing or something, and then I was never cold b/c we were always moving. I thought that would be our next big purchase, till Tuesday...

Tuesday. No class. They decided on Monday, after class, to cancel classes for Tuesday. I love to sleep in, and it seems like since we've moved here, I require significantly more sleep than I did in the states. I love my husband. He took Gavin downstairs after I fed him and let me sleep in a little. I was awakened, an hour or so later, to JB by the bed w/ a tray of breakfast for me- coffee and all! This was a first time he's ever made me breakfast in bed- and for no reason at all- even better. I really do have the best husband around!!! He brought my Bible up too, so I could have my quiet time, b/c he knew once I went downstairs to Gavin, there was no more quiet to be found! What a great man. So...JB decided to venture downtown to pay our internet since we didn't have school. The busses were packed b/c it was so cold- they were crammed in there like sardines, which isn't unusual, but still uncomfortable. It's weird how it was almost welcome on such a cold day- the more warm bodies- the better! Anyway...He calls me from the bus asking if I've seen his i-pod. Can't find it anywhere. He was hoping he had left it at home, but remembers putting it in his bag, along w/ his verb cards, so he could study on the bus or while waiting in line. So, unfortunately, his i-pod was stolen, along w/ his 120 Russian verbs! From his bag, while on the crowded bus! He's been stuck listening to his Russian lessons on my PINK i-pod all week! The real bummer is, outside of having to replace it, is that we would like to find another i-pod mini, since we have everything to go w/ them, but they're not making them anymore! And the only ones we can find here are 100$ more than in the states and PINK is the only color anyone has left! So...I'll write more about it later, when we figure out what we're going to do!

Wednesday. We had an hour delay on Wednesday. We still haven't figured out why, because it didn't get any warm over that hour, and they don't have salt or plows to clean the roads, so it wasn't for that reason...Any ideas? Gavin got his first upper tooth today! He now has three! I think it may be through as a result of his first fall that resulted in blood...He was standing by end table and let go. When he fell, he caught his lip and upper gum on the corner. There was blood. He cried. It split open his lip and his gum, right where his tooth now is! He's fine now, not sure mom has quite recovered, but I'm sure he'll come to me bleeding, many more times in his life!

Thursday. Another delay. Still haven't figured out why...? Have I mentioned that the Steelers are going to the Superbowl?! We're excited, even though the game doesn't start till 3am our time! We'll probably be watching it on the internet, at least the play-by-play @ www.superbowl.com , even though we have class the next morning! Today was our last day of class for the week- it's been such a weird week! We had our teammate, Don, over for dinner, and a videotaped Steelers game. I made chicken pot pie- great on a cold day like today! He brought us some of our mail- more Christmas cards- which included a card from my grandma w/ lots of pictures inside. I was a little bothered that it had been opened (to look for cash, I'm sure), though nothing was taken. We've had packages opened before, but it's different when it's personal mail. Hmm. Just kind of irked me. Amidst that mail, I received a package from South Africa- my friend Lauren sent me a book- The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. She had received it from a friend, who had received it from a friend...You get the idea...It's been to LA, Australia (twice), South Africa, San Francisco, New Zealand, and now Russia. I haven't read a fun book- that was "pleasure reading" in a really long time. I sat down after the game Thursday and finished the book in just a few hours. A fun, teenage read, that definitely put a smile on my face...Anyway- Melissa!!!! Keep an eye out, because I'll be sending it your way very soon!

Speaking of Melissa and Mike- we (really Gavin) received a wonderful gift this week from them! I'll attach pictures of him enjoying his new Playskool Walker/Ride On...He loves it! Can't stop spinning the "spinny thing" and pushing it all over the living room! We can't find anything like that here, so we're so thankful for Toys 'R Us in Hong Kong, and great friends like the Rose's...As well as beautiful little (future bride of Gavin's) Isabella!

Friday. JB spent most of his day downtown trying to get our internet up. He stood in line for 3 hours w/ his language helper, Denis (pronounced like Denise)! But, fortunately it's working again!!! yeah JB! I spent my morning hanging out with Gavin and enjoying tea with Yulia and Inna while he was napping. It was great to spend 3 straight hours listening to, understanding (a little) and speaking (a tiny bit :) ) of Russian!

Saturday. Slept in again (so thankful! ) and we spent the morning playing with Gavin. He is all smiles and giggles the last several weeks! I love being a mom. I hate leaving him in the mornings, but I can't wait to come home! He never smiles so big, and crawls so fast, as when I walk in the door at 1:00 every school day! There is nothing better than being a parent- so many people have told me this, but I think I finally understand... I could never imagine life with out Gavin- he makes our family complete, and lights up the room around his unceasing smile! We took him on a 2 hours tram ride today- in an attempt to get to our friends across town. He smiled at all the other passengers the first half of the trip, and fell asleep for the second half. We borrowed several DVD's from them, drank some great coffee, and went out looking for a rocking chair for me. We've looked all over, for several months, but have yet to find one. Today was no better. We did end up at our favorite Italian kafe- PrimaVera for Pizza and Salad (and JB found some Chocolate Mousse!). Great day.

Tomorrow we'll head off to church. Haven't decided if I'll be staying home with Gavin or not. Our church is renting an auditorium so there is no nursery or anywhere to take Gavin during the service. He usually does well during worship, but can't sit still- what 9 month old can? (he will be 9 months old tomorrow! Where did the time go?) We always end up, either JB or I, in the lobby with him. The lobby is bitterly cold, especially lately, so I've been staying home with him, especially since he's been sick. So...We'll see tomorrow morning.

Sorry, this is about the longest post I've ever done...The perils of being without internet for a week!

No comments: