Today has been such an encouraging day. I want to thank all of you who have been praying for our family. I went to bed last night, still throwing my "self-pity party" and wondering why I was so miserable. God brought to mind all the times I've felt down and discouraged in ministry and all the amazing things he has done in the midst of those times. He reminded me that if JB and I were ineffective Satan wouldn't bother wasting his time on us. He reminded me of all the valuable lessons I'm learning right now and how he's drawing me closer to Him...but yet I woke up this morning convinced of what a hard day it would be...Being that it was my first day back to class, my first day leaving Gavin in a long time, etc.
Last night we barely slept b/c Gavin was up 6 or 8 times, which is completely unusual for him- he hasn't done that since he was just weeks old. But, to our amazement we weren't completely exhausted upon sunrise. Inna walked in with a huge smile on her face. She is such a beautiful woman- I'm not sure if my Russian would be where it is if it wasn't for her. She encourages me, and is so patient with me. She stopped over last night and I was so glad to see her- she gave me a huge hug and told me how she missed seeing me (she's been on vacation for 3 weeks). She looked beautiful in her fur hat and long fur-trimmed wool coat. When she left, my heart was glad...Anyway- I'm so very glad God has blessed us with her! So...She just loved on Gavin from the moment she smiled her way into our home this morning. I was so worried he would cry when I left this morning, b/c he has been very clingy lately, especially since he is sick. But, he barely noticed when we left b/c he was so enthralled by Inna.
School. Today was JB and I's first class with our new teacher. We've been studying over our break, but it's just not the same when we're not in class. She was so patient with us and I actually left class today feeling really great- on a Monday! I am so humbled by God's amazing provision!
Yulia. After class my language helper- Yulia, met me, and we left to go pick up a package at the Post Office. I always enjoy spending time with her- she is 22, has been married for 3 1/2 years, and has an 18 month old daughter. She and her husband are not from Krasnodar, but have been here for 4 years studying at a Bible school. We had such a wonderful conversation today was we were on our way to the Post Office, and I felt like, for the first time, we communicated (in Russian!) on a deeper level- it's really the first time she's chosen to tell me about intimate things that are going on in her life and about things she's feeling. Again, I'm so humbled by God's provision in my life. He knew I needed a helper like Yulia, and he knew I needed to be encouraged today- or rather reminded of all the ways in which he's blessed me. To top that off I learned another valuable lesson:
When in Russia, (often) do as the Russians do. I have to say often b/c I don't want to become one that yells and shoves, etc. but sometimes the situation warrants it. Let me share about our post office here- It has been recently remodeled and "modernized". When you walk in you stop at a computer and select what you are there for (picking up a package, sending a package, etc.) and it gives you a number. Then, you wait. And wait. And wait. When your number appears on the board you are to go to the corresponding window. For some reason, our number never came up. We waited and waited and waited, still no 620. So, Yulia decided enough was enough and just got in line at a random window and told the lady she wanted our package. I probably never would have done that, even in the states. I would have continued waiting, holding onto hope that 620 might appear- even after seeing numbers in the 800's posted. Anyway...The Russian way works in Russia (surprise, surprise) and we got my package! And Jeri- thank you!!!! Already made some Ranch dressing and can't wait to dig into the Starbucks and Reese's Cups! Another wonderful blessing today.
Do the blessings ever stop? I forgot my keys, so I had to ring our bell and Inna let me in- yeah! We chatted for awhile and when she left (since Gavin was asleep :) ) I checked our email. Every month when we open our financial reports we are humbled and thankful to all of you who give to the Great Commission fund and our Outfit Fund, etc. But when I opened this months report, I just wanted to cry. I don't always understand why God chose us to serve Him here, but I have no doubt it is not a mistake, especially after seeing the monetary sacrifices people make in order for us to continue to be here learning Russian, or order to better minister to the lost of this country. Words can't express our gratitude to all of you who support us and make it possible for us to be here, and to those who contribute to our vehicle fund- so that someday we will be able to drive a car (and maybe get somewhere on time for once!). Thank you.
What an amazing day. I am so humbled when, despite of my faithlessness, God shows himself faithful. He never fails to pour on the blessing, especially when we deserve it the least.
1 comment:
I just wanted to say that I am enjoying your Blog. We are a Christian family residing in the US, but our two children are adopted from Russia. I'm very much enjoying learning about life from your perspective as an American living there.
Post a Comment