Christmas. I thought this would be the toughest time of the year for us. I was kinda wrong- not that it was easy or anything like that, just not as tough as I imagined it would be. This just may have been the best Christmas yet. Hard to really believe with all the things that weren't like "Christmas"...The fake tree, no snow, no music in stores, no walmart, family far away, few Christmas cards...But at the same time, it was our very first Christmas with Gavin.
I remember all the wonderful memories I have as Christmas as a child, and hope Gavin will have similar wonderful memories of the holidays with family... This year I baked Christmas cookies, really for the first time. Usually we do buckeyes and candy, but peanut butter is scarce and powdered sugar is hard to come by. I made Grandma Wigal's sugar cookies- they turned out great! Along with them were ginger bread men, chocolate cookies, almond/candy cookie things, pumpkin roll, and a layered chocolate/caramel/shortbread treat- almost like a twix! yum!
It has been a very busy time for us- Thursday was our last day of class and was followed by a school Christmas party. We didn't get to stay long b/c it was right in the middle of Gavin's nap time and he was very fussy :( . But, we had a great time talking to a few of our teachers and getting to know a few of the new students that just arrived. Friday evening we enjoyed an evening with friends- had a great time just relaxing and talking. We watched the Grinch and Christmas Vacation and were able to enjoy great (starbucks!) coffee and chocolate cake (Duncan Hines, baby!) topped with cream cheese icing- straight from the container! It's been so long since we've had cake made from a mix- just reminds you of home! Saturday we woke up early and turned up the holiday music and I started baking- all morning- it was great! That evening we enjoyed a great time with our team here at Phil and Melissa's house. We had sandwiches and Christmas goodies, sang Christmas carols, and exchanged white elephant gifts w/ the adults and the kids opened gifts from their "aunts" and "uncles"- a fun time. JB and I left early to bring Gavin home to bed and to spend a little time enjoying Christmas eve as a couple. We snuggled up and watched It's a Wonderful Life and then went to bed to await santa's arrival :)
Christmas morning. Gavin's first Christmas. Morning came way to early- we were looking forward to sleeping in, but a nearly 8 month old, has no concept of sleeping in on holidays.. And I'm sure it will only get worse as he gets older and figures out that when you wake up you get to open gifts! We came down stairs and fed Gavin, turned on the video camera and music, and started opening gifts! What a wonderful Christmas for Gavin as he opened wonderful gifts filled with love and enjoyed playing with all of them- JB and I enjoyed ourselves too! I got my food processor I have been wanting for years and JB, his surround sound! We celebrated the rest of the afternoon at Phil and Melissa's- enjoying their 3 kids, eating wonderful food, playing board games, watching Christmas movies, drinking coffee, and just enjoying fellowship w/ other believers on the birthday of our savior!
To top the night off we were able to video chat with my family! I miss you guys so very much!!! It was difficult to be away, but not as hard as I imagined- only b/c I know how very much they love us and miss us too! What a great feeling to know someone loves you enough to miss you terribly! I only wish I could have given them all big hugs though the computer, and enjoyed a cup of coffee with my mom. I love you guys soooo much!
No rest for the weary- today is back to studying, but fortunately no class for 3 weeks! Yulia is coming over in 2 hrs to study Russian with me- hopefully my brain will get in gear after several days of only speaking English!
Merry Christmas!
No comments:
Post a Comment