Thursday, November 24, 2005

Thanksgiving Day

Today was/is Thanksgiving. Yes, we did eat turkey- they do have them here. We were even able to get ahold of a small bag of ocean spray cranberries for me to make cranberry salad with (yum). In many ways it felt like thanksgiving, but in many it was so very different from anything I had ever experienced- with good reason, because I've never celebrated thanksgiving in Russia!

We woke up late this morning (Gavin let us sleep in till 8! I still can't believe it). We turned the Christmas music on and started cooking. I made a pie crust and JB filled it with his famous cranberry apple pie filling, we cut moose out of the top of the crust and put it in the over. I started making the stuffing to go on top of my broccoli casserole and while I was waiting for the bread to bake/dry out in the oven I microwaved sweet potatoes and blended them into baby food to freeze for Gavin. I was so excited to find sweet potatoes- they don't grow them here... We paid way too much for them at an import store, but Gavin loves them and they're a great thing to feed our little growing boy.

Big news- Gavin started crawling this morning like a normal baby! No more bear crawling or flopping across the room on his belly...He's moving at full speed after the cat now! And- on top of that he's able to sit himself up. Yesterday he was only able to get into a 'half-lean' kinda position, but we walked in this morning and he was sitting up playing as he does when we sit him upright! Our little boy is growing way too fast!

We packed up our pie, cranberry salad, broccoli casserole, and deviled eggs and headed over to Don's house to join the other 24 guests!!! There were 4 American families, on Brazilian family, and 3 Russian families- It was quite a cultural mix around the dinner table! All 11 children sat out in the "prehosia" (large entryway/foyer type area) and the rest of us adults crammed around 3 tables spanning the whole legnth of the kitchen.

I thought I would be 'smart' and bring Gavin's pack 'n play so he would have somewhere to sleep. I'm not sure why I thought that would be a smart thing to do...I obviously didn't consider the 11 kids that would be there...How is he supposed to sleep through that?! So he had his morning nap here at home and that was pretty much it...We just now put him in bed for the night and it's almost 10! If only that meant that he would sleep in late tomorrow, but chances are he'll be up at 6:30am...we'll see!

After dinner we all sat around and played Cranium and some other games and I had a terrific cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee! No joke. Someone sent Don their coffee and he was kind enough to share....So if anyone at home is reading this and feels compelled to send Dunkin Donuts or Eat 'n Park coffee to me- I'm sure it would mean an extra jewel in your crown! I have an empty coffee grinder here waiting to enjoy some GOOD coffee!

Had an opportunity to talk to my family and I'm only reminded of how very much I miss them. I miss cooking all morning with mom in the kitchen and hanging out with my great nephew- Brennon. And I'm definitely going to miss being there tomorrow for Sarah's 18th birthday....I hate it that's she's growing up with me- and way too fast. Most days I still think she should be 10 years old, how time flies!

We are so blessed and I a have so very much to be thankful for. I am so thankful for God's hand and His provision in our lives. Looking back over the past year we can so vividly see God's hand orchestrating our lives- He has richly blessed us with a wonderful son, He has sustained us through the biggest transition we've ever endured and He has given us so many reasons to smile. He has blessed me with tremendous friends whom I know I dearly love, because I miss them tremendously! He has also blessed me with new friends here who are exactly what I need- only God could anticipate my need like that. I could continue to list things- but I could be up half the night doing it- I am just so very thankful for all the lessons I've learned and for all the ways God has blessed my and my family. Have a blessed holiday season. (And yes, if any of you are wondering, we are decorating for Christmas tomorrow!!!! I can't wait- we have to buy a tree first- that just might be an adventure...)

No comments: