God doesn't speak
only English. I know this might be obvious, but each time I sit in church I'm reminded of what a BIG God we serve and how ethnocentric I am... Unconsciously I assume that God speaks English and that maybe this might be His only language, or perhaps His
best language, as if he had a first language. Do you follow me? As Americans I think sometimes we think we're the only Christians out there, we
know we're not, but I think, subconsciously we think we really are. Or that being a Christian means speaking English- because the Bible is in English, right? I'm not trying to be funny, I've just come to the realization that I've always believed I was a "World Christian," but I've never intimately experienced worship,
really experienced worship, outside of the United States. Here I am in a church full of Russian speakers and I don't understand a thing. I can sing the same songs they sing, in English of course, and know that God understands both of us equally well- and ready for this- at the SAME time! Crazy. Not crazy, AWESOME. Pastor prays and though I have no idea what he's praying I know we both pray to the same God and that He understands him whether I do or not. Awesome. I consider myself to be very blessed because I think what I experience every Sunday is a little piece of heaven where we'll all gather together, every tongue, every nation, every tribe- and worship the King of Kings. I'm so glad God doesn't only speak English and I'm so blessed to have the opportunity to be here and learn Russian for
His glory. I pray that there will be many Russians in heaven with us.

Gavin and "Uncle" Phil Arndt- our team leader
No comments:
Post a Comment